Monday, October 8, 2007

Fresh and Fertile....fall art FALL!





Infinite Island at the Brooklyn Museum - A sprawling exhibit of 45 artists from 14 Caribbean nations declaring themselves as the rightful owners/originators/sinners of the projected getaway.












Midnight's Daydream
at the Studio Museum-- Three male artists-in-residence (Titus Khaphar, Wardell Milan II, Demetrius Oliver) tug aggressively at past marginalized ideals...displaying their relevance. If these are my compadres as I stomp towards the future, I am slightly at ease.


STANDOUT:
WARDELL MILAN's series Battle Royale-- Collaged photos based around Ralph Ellison's boxers The Invisible Man presented as vulnerable objects and players for a captive audience.
masculinity=boxers=puppets=objects=feminine


AND two new shows at the Whitney...

Neither New Nor Correct: New Work by Mark Bradford










collage at 2006 Whitney Biennial









and Kara Walker's My Complement, My Enemy, My Oppressor, My Love. There is a great retrospective written on her by Hilton Als in the most recent New Yorker.

Get to it...some of them will be leaving soon.

--

No comments: